Monday, May 10, 2010

Green Smoothie


I made a my green smoothie again.  I used to make it a while back up stopped b/c my blender broke (I guess I used it too much).  My energy has been feeling a little low lately so I decided to make the smoothie again!  



It's not exactly the type of smoothie you make for it's taste.  But it sure does give you an excellent lasting boost of energy!

I usually make enough to last a few days since it does take some time to make.  


A lot of people ask my why don't I just eat a salad instead of making this drink.  Honestly you just don't get the same energy boost affect.  


The recipe can be altered many different ways depending on what you have in the house.  This recipe is from Kimberly Snyder who was featured on Good Morning America awhile back.   



If you are looking for a natural energy boost I highly recommend this smoothie!  Just remember don't drink it for the taste.  Also a small tip.....I add WAY more lemon juice than on the recipe.  It really helps cut the taste.  I think I add more like 1/2 a cup.

Recipe:

1 ½ cups of water
1 head romaine
4 stalks celery
1/3 bunch cilantro
1/3 bunch parsley
Juice of ½ a lemon (I use 1/2 a cup)
2 apples
2 pears
1 banana*

•    Blend until smooth**, starting with the greens and moving into the fruits. This makes 4 full cups of the Green Smoothie (which tastes best when served very cold), so is enough for two people for 2 days, or for one person for 3 days. Try to drink at least 16-24 ounces a day, if not more! Stir before you drink!
•    Feel free to mix your greens and fruits, as greens and fruits food combine well together (except for melons). Be sure to balance the light and darker greens, so for instance, if you want to add some kale, be sure to balance with the lighter green of celery. Bill the anchor today, mentioned he didn’t like cilantro. No problem! Just leave it out and use another green instead, or up the quantities of the other greens.
•    * If you are diabetic and prefer to cut out all high glycemic fruit, you can omit the banana.  Otherwise, I suggest keeping it in, as it adds a nice consistency and taste.
•    ** It is important to blend until all “chunks” are removed from the mixture. There are a lot of nutrients encased into the cell walls of the green plants, and these need to be ruptured so full nutrition is available upon consumption without much digestive work. If you don’t have a great blender, you may have to blend longer and the smoothie will get warm. In that case, be sure to make it the night before, so it will be nice and cool by breakfast time!



Happy Monday!



1 comment:

  1. That is definitely green! I've been lacking energy though, so I will have to try this one out, thanks for the recipe.

    xoxo,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete